Information for International Applicants

Information for International Applicants

The MUSC entry-level Master of Science in Cardiovascular Perfusions (CVP) program accepts international applicants. International applicants must meet the same admissions criteria as domestic applicants to be eligible for the program.

About the Program

No, this program is in-person and would require you to relocate to Charleston, SC. We do offer an online Master of Science in Extracorporeal Science (MS-ECS) program. Please note the ECS program does not provide the necessary curriculum for practicing as a perfusionist in the United States.

Yes, MUSC and the College of Health Professions do have some scholarships available. These scholarships are open for application once you have started your first semester in the program. Most are based on financial need and require a FAFSA to be completed.

No, the program does not provide housing, travel or meals for students. Students are responsible for securing their own accommodations.

Yes, all graduates from the program are eligible to sit for the exam regardless of residency.

International graduates will have the same experiences and likely employment opportunities as domestic graduates. Graduates may need to seek employment that can provide visa sponsorship, which may pose a challenge, but some hospitals do offer sponsorship.

The program has an extensive network of clinical affiliates. Students are required to complete clinical rotations throughout the United States as part of the curriculum. Many of our students use this opportunity to network and leverage the rotations for future employment.

Applying to the Program

Yes, either test is required if English is not your first language and you have not studied in the United States. To be eligible, applicants need to score at least an 80 on TOEFL or 6.5 on IELTS.

Yes, international applicants must complete the same prerequisite courses as domestic applicants. These courses may be taken as part of a bachelor’s degree program or separately. The program will accept online or in-person coursework from any regionally accredited institution.

Yes. MUSC requires that your international coursework be submitted in English and verified by a professional transcript evaluation agency. You can find more information on the MUSC International Applicants page.

Yes, you are required to shadow at least one perfusionist. If you are shadowing outside of the United States, it is not required that the perfusionist be ABCP certified.

For questions related to visas, transcript verification, or language exams, please contact our Office of Enrollment Management at You may also find more information on our MUSC International Applicants webpage.