Department of Healthcare Leadership & Management
The Department of Healthcare Leadership & Management (DHLM) is the home of three health administration programs within the College of Health Professions: Doctor of Health Administration (DHA), Master in Health Administration (MHA), and Master of Science in Health Informatics (MSHI). Our students are career-oriented leaders who want to help shape the direction of healthcare organizations. We have 13 faculty members and over 150 students in the department with a dedicated full-time staff. We also have state of the art classrooms and facilities, and close working relationships with many healthcare organizations in South Carolina and beyond. Through our outstanding students and faculty, we bring inter-professional education from the classroom into practice. For example, the award-winning Community Aid, Relief, Education and Support (CARES) Clinic provides an opportunity for students from different professions to work together. In addition, many class projects are actual projects from healthcare facilities.
Department of Healthcare Leadership & Management Vision and Value Statements
The Department of Healthcare Leadership & Management at MUSC strives to achieve national distinction in education, scholarship, and service by offering high-quality education programs including Doctor of Health Administration, Master in Health Administration, and Master of Science in Health Informatics. To fulfill its mission, the department is committed to:
• Treating all individuals with respect and dignity
• Providing an environment in which freedom of inquiry and debate is valued and protected
• Offering high quality educational programs that provide students experiential, integrative and inter-professional learning opportunities
• Fostering a diverse and inclusive learning environment
• Preparing students to lead and succeed in the workforce
• Advancing scientific evidence on health services through research and scholarship
• Informing policy-makers at local, state, and national levels
• Improving the delivery of healthcare services through the provision of consulting and community service
• Building and maintaining strong alumni and employer relationships
• Engaging with community stakeholders to ensure we are preparing a competitive workforce.
Dr. Jami Jones is Chair of and MHA Division Director in the Department of Healthcare Leadership & Management at the Medical University of South Carolina. She completed her MS degree in Healthcare Administration & Management at Trinity University, and her Ph.D. in Health Services Organization and Research at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her research interests include organizational theory, quality management, organizational behavior and performance improvement. She has numerous publications and has served as principal investigator, co-PI, and consultant on many grants and research projects, including a quality improvement grant for the American Heart Association. Dr. Jones has also served as Chair of the Healthcare Management Division for the Academy of Management. Before attaining her Ph.D., Dr. Jones worked at the Veteran’s Affairs North Texas Health Care System in Dallas, Texas.