To enhance access to high-quality health care throughout South Carolina (SC) and beyond.
To graduate highly competent physician assistants who are compassionate, culturally aware and attuned to the primary healthcare needs of the people of South Carolina and beyond.
They will be prepared to:
- Provide quality, evidence based, patient-centered healthcare as integral members of interdisciplinary healthcare teams;
- Advocate for the physician assistant profession
- Help meet the healthcare needs through education, research, and service
- Quality, safe, and accessible patient-centered Health care
- Responding compassionately and respectfully to the needs of the population served
- Ethical and professional behavior
- Diversity and inclusion
- Confident life-long learners
- Advancing medical knowledge
- Virtuous leadership
Student Learning Outcomes*
At the completion of the program, graduates will competently:
- Elicit a detailed and accurate medical history, perform a complete physical examination, and record all pertinent data;
- Perform, order, and interpret diagnostic studies;
- Perform or refer for therapeutic procedures;
- Provide complete and accurate patient assessment in order to formulate a management plan in a variety of healthcare settings;
- Provide patient education and counseling to address health maintenance and disease prevention; and
- Facilitate the referral of patients to address their medical and psychosocial needs.
The Physician Assistant Studies program assesses its success by the success of its students and alumni. The PAS program strives to:
- Recruit a richly diverse student body with varied experiences, attributes, sensitivities and academic backgrounds
- Train physician assistant students to have the knowledge and skills to provide quality healthcare
- Graduate students who are highly satisfied with the quality of their education, the state of their professional development, and their overall capability to function as a physician assistant
- Be fully compliant with all standards established by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant, Inc. (ARC-PA)
*These Student Learning Outcomes are evaluated in part by our student’s success on the national PA certification examination and achieving certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants. See our results on the Program Outcomes page.